Sunday 6 June 2010

Early Taper

After a very sore knee following the 80 miler last weekend I decided to take it easy this week. I did nothing all week (on the bike at least!) and then did 30 yesterday and 24 today, both without incident. I figure that after getting on for 3500 miles in training, missing a few miles at this stage shouldn't make much difference! Actually, the last two days felt really good. It's probably a bit late now given what I have in store in 9 days time, but I decided that only going out for around 2 hours is great! Compared to the 6-8 slogs over the last few weeks, it was great to go out, get some exercise and come back feeling as if I've done something without feeling shattered for the rest of the day! Indeed today I was back in time to join the rest of the family for coffee today - all very civilized.
So, 9 days to go. A couple of short commutes on Wednesday and Thursday, 20 miles or so next Sunday and that's it! Less than 50 miles left in training before we get to the start at Addenbrooke's hospital in Cambridge...

Nigel's Training Lore #11.
During a prolonged training campaign such as for something like London to Paris, there will inevitably be times when injuries get in the way. Don't fight through it, rest up, safe in the knowledge that overall you will cover the ground.

No comments: