Wednesday 23 June 2010

Time to go our separate ways

With the obvious exceptions of getting married and becoming father to three fantastic children, last week was the most incredible experience of my life. Running the London Marathon was ok, but ultimately I was just relieved to get it finished. The second time around the spectators and thousands of runners just irritated me! Other running events are a challenge, you feel sore afterwards but it is a shorter lived experience. Canoeing as a teenager was pretty awesome but didn't quite match last week (although crewing the Devizes to Westminster for my Father came close). Since stopping canoeing (that's a different story for another time) I have tried climbing, squash, fencing and a host of other sports only to be disappointed. Last week though was the culmination of efforts on so many different fronts. I had cycled many miles in training and in atrocious weather. I had managed to get a pretty decent amount of sponsorship along the way and for a charity and cause that I truly believe in, and I had also managed to raise awareness of neonatal issues. All these components together helped to make last week so special, even before we get to the fantastic riding, great friends and superb memories.

And now it’s over.

Not so quick grasshopper. Along with the others I met last week, I have been fighting the emotions of being glad to be home and relieved it’s over, along with a real desire to get back out there on the roads. The combination of the adrenaline high from cycling and the knowledge that what I’m doing is helping a good cause is hard to beat. In short, I love the feeling of making a difference! How can I possibly just bring that to an end? I’m not going to be going out doing another week long cycle any time soon, but I do want to keep making a difference. Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know I took great motivation from Discovery Road and in particular the passage towards the end about making a difference. As a result, I am pleased and excited to announce that I have a new blog, Kill the Dragon, that will be all about just that, making a difference. Little by Little will also continue as a neonatal issues blog, but Little by Little has got bigger and bigger and it's time to go our separate ways! In short

  • Little by Little will focus on neonatal issues, news articles and so on.
  • Kill the Dragon will focus on making a difference. This will include my activities both challenges but also other activities aimed at raising awareness, as well as the actions of others.

The exact content of each will be refined with time but that is roughly how they will be split. I do hope many of you will continue to read Little by Little and also Kill the Dragon, but whichever you choose, do please keep on reading. Without the support of family, friends and anonymous users of the internet it would be like banging my head against a brick dragon!

No comments: