Sunday 13 June 2010

Completing the Circle

Did a really nice training session today - the last! I repeated the first one I did at the end of last year which started me on the road to Paris. Since then, I have done something like 3500 miles in training. I have had two crashes (and here). I have been out in the worst winter the UK has had in years, and I have seen some great sights. Slowly but surely the milestones have been passed; 50 miles, 100 miles and even 124 miles! When I think back, that first session was cold, wet, windy (most of them have been) and a slog (many of them have been!). Today, it was warm, still windy but not a slog. The transformation has been amazing. With 400 miles to go and 3500 done, you could say that the challenge is now almost over. I have noticeably lost weight (I do hasten to add I wasn't exactly a fat git in the first place!), I have got very fit (a 30 miler is now a short ride!) and I have raised over £2000 for Bliss. And now the training is over. I have kit sprawled on the bed, and the next time I get on a bike will be outside Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge to start the challenge proper. Time for one last observation to complete my observations from the past few months...

Nigel's Training Lore #1.
Routes well known to you by car are further or hillier when observed from the vantage point of a bike

Nigel's Training Lore #2.
Getting out for a ride whatever the weather may be admirable. It is also stupid

Nigel's Training Lore #3.
Putting an extra pair of ordinary socks on is no match for sub-zero temperatures in driving wind and rain in December. Get some thermal socks!

Nigel's Training Lore #4.
Over 2 or so hours in the saddle burns lots of energy - ensure you take on extra in the form of bars, gels or drinks.

Nigel's Training Lore #5.
Not all gels and bars are born the same.Try them in training so you don't find out you don't like them/they don't agree with you during your real event!

Nigel's Training Lore #6.
Actually, real food (pretzels, licorice, bagels, cereal bars) may work just as well.

Nigel's Training Lore #7.
Your bike has two tyres, so taking two spare inner tubes with you makes a lot of sense!

Nigel's Training Lore #8.
Not all training rides will be great, but another good one is just around the corner.

Nigel's Training Lore #9.
A training program is a guide not a rulebook. Enforced rest and 'listening to your body' will help to give your body the rest it needs. But at the same time don't use that as an excuse!

Nigel's Training Lore #10.
If you can design a figure of eight route it allows you to stop off at home half way round your ride which particularly in winter means you can warm up, change and go out again refuelled. It also means you're closer to home if you encounter any problems.

Nigel's Training Lore #11.
During a prolonged training campaign such as for something like London to Paris, there will inevitably be times when injuries get in the way. Don't fight through it, rest up, safe in the knowledge that overall you will cover the ground.


Nigel's Training Lore #12.
The Human body is capable of amazing things which dedication and determination can help bring to fruition.


A fitting way to end this post I think. Throughout all this, the most important thing has been to raise money for Bliss. The training has helped me prepare for this and to achieve something amazing.

Now it's time to
kill the dragon.

1 comment:

Doo said...

Awesome blog and lores and such like! Have enjoyed reading your posts and now I wish you all the very best for your adventure. Hopefully, I'll share some of the experience with you :)