Tuesday 5 January 2010

Crash and Burn

Kind of ironic title given all the cold weather and snow! The very last ride of last year though resulted in a crash coming down a hill in Ireland. Weather was terrible but nevertheless, right until the end it was a great 20 mile ride down to the town of Newcastle in Co. Wicklow and back to Bray:

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

I had made it over the monster hill from Greystones to Bray (not so much high but very very loooong!) with Bray Head to my right, was coming down the other side and all of a sudden parted company with my bike and continued down the hill at some speed. No bones broken but very battered and bruised, with my leggings shredded, along with the skin underneath.



It could have been so much worse. The car behind was sure he'd hit me. Several others cars had to stop and all avoided hitting each other and neither me nor my bike are seriously broken. Looking on the bright side, I am missing getting out on my bike during some pretty awful weather and hopefully will be raring to go once the weather brightens a bit. It's also given me chance to get both bikes to the bike shop for some TLC.

In the meantime, there's only one thing for it...more carbo loading with another slice of Xmas cake.

Nigel's Training Lore #2.
Getting out for a ride whatever the weather may be admirable. It is also stupid

Nigel's Training Lore #3.
Putting an extra pair of ordinary socks on is no match for sub-zero temperatures in driving wind and rain in December. Get some thermal socks!

1 comment:

Doo said...

You can't beat a bit of carbo loading! Hope you feel well soon, and don't even think about competing with me on the injury front!