Sunday 24 January 2010

Weekly training update

I don't often talk about my midweek rides as they are typically either just to work or a quick jaunt locally. A two day training course based at the historic Wadenhoe House however, gave me a great chance for a change of scenery.


6.30am. It was cold, misty/drizzling and very very dark. As I set off from the tiny Northamptonshire village, the only light source was the silver disk of light thrown off from my headlight. Very quickly though my senses adapted and it was a truly enjoyable ride! It is amazing how quicky your senses adapt to the surroundings, and as I passed through Oundle, which was a relative hive of activity with streetlights, people and cars, it was almost an assualt on my senses! I passed through quickly and continued on my way, as far I think as Polebrook, around 14 mile round trip, arriving back as it was just getting light.

My long ride this weekend was much less eventful than last weeks epic! 40 miles through Essex in around 2.5 hours. All went fine until the last 30 minutes or so when my legs started to feel really shattered, a case of insufficient energy on-board I think.

Nigel's Training Lore #4.
Over 2 or so hours in the saddle burns lots of energy - ensure you take on extra in the form of bars, gels or drinks.

No comments: